Find answers to frequently asked questions below
SHAPE is designed to be used by primary healthcare professionals (ranging from GPs, practice nurses, allied health professionals, community health workers) who provide support to patients with weight related health concerns. SHAPE may also be relevant for use by tertiary healthcare professionals.
SHAPE is based upon the 5As Framework of Obesity Management and contains a variety of tools resources and education designed to assist you to learn how to support your patients with weight related health concerns through taking a sensitive, person-centred approach.
With SHAPE, you can:
· Access the Conversations About Weight RACGP Accredited Online Training (you will need to create a user account) and learn how to play a more central role in supporting patients to achieve their health goals, including guiding sensitive conversations around weight.
· Discover a range of healthy lifestyle information, including patient information materials and programs to share with your patients
· Access videos on the patient experiences of weight stigma, and how to take measurements with patients in a sensitive, patient centred manner.
· Access WA HealthPathways – Weight Management and Nutrition in Adults Pathway
· Obtain Quality Improvement tools to assist weight management support in your general practice
· Access links to a range of other content to support your patients to achieve their health and wellbeing goals.
You can freely browse the content on the SHAPE website without creating a user account. If you wish to access the Conversations About Weight online training, then register for an account here
You can use this website before, during or after a consultation. For example, prior to seeing a patient, you might like to review the information on the Ask and Assess page.
The information on the Advise, Agree and Arrange pages are suitable to be accessed whilst in session with the patient, to share with them what healthy lifestyle resources are available that might be appropriate for them.
The Conversations About Weight online training includes six modules that you can work through in your own time. For General Practitioners, the modules are pending RACGP CPD approval for the new 2023-2025 Triennium.
The information on the website is targeted towards supporting adults aged 18-65 years. We are actively working to add additional information, tools and resources to assist healthcare professionals support Aboriginal patients; children with higher weight and their families.